Home About Professionals Practices Resources Contact Us
Attorney Merritt is a licensed attorney in the state of California Our team has a passion for serving our clients and creative problem solving
Contact Us today to discuss your legal matter Get instantly connected to our office today
Breach of Habitability
Property Preservation Litigation
Breach of Contract Claims
Commercial Debt Collection
Contract Preparation & Review
Non-Judicial Foreclosures
Section 184 and Indian Country
Eviction/Foreclosures Alternatives
Post Foreclosure and Reo Evictions
Residential Property Evictions
Commercial Evictions
Evictions & Indian Owned Properties
Personal Property Evictions
Rent Control Issues
Just Cause Ordinances
Code Compliance Issues
Tenant's Rights
Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act
California Homeowners Bill of Right Act
Unpermitted Structures
Abandoned Properties
Orders to Comply
City Ordinances & Regulations
Property Registration
City Fines & Citations
Adverse Possession Issues
Chapter 7
Chapter 13
Adversary Proceedings
Motions for Relief
Contact Us
First Name:
Last Name:
This internet contact and/or your E-mail is not confidential and you should have no expectation of privacy in an e-mail and/or contact message. Do not transmit confidential information by e-mail or in this contact message! An e-mail communication or contact communication to me or any person at Merritt Law, Inc. does not create an attorney-client relationship and does not create a duty to keep any communication confidential. If you are contacting Merritt Law, Inc. or Tyneia Merritt on a new matter, please telephone us for a conflicts check before we discuss your matter.


In each rental agreement there is an implied warranty of "habitability." A property owner must repair all problems which fall under his/her minimum obligations, unless the damages were caused by the tenant's lack of care. Merritt Law offers defense to breach of habitability lawsuits.

According to California Civil Code section 1941.1, a dwelling shall be deemed untenantable for purposes of Section 1941 if it substantially lacks any of the following:

(1) Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls, including unbroken windows and doors.
(2) Plumbing or gas facilities that conformed to applicable law in effect at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.
(3) A water supply approved under applicable law that is under the control of the tenant, capable of producing hot and cold running water, or a system that is under the control of the landlord, that produces hot and cold running water, furnished to appropriate fixtures, and connected to a sewage disposal system approved under applicable law.
(4) Heating facilities that conformed with applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.
(5) Electrical lighting, with wiring and electrical equipment that conformed with applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.
(6) Building, grounds, and appurtenances at the time of the commencement of the lease or rental agreement, and all areas under control of the landlord, kept in every part clean, sanitary, and free from all accumulations of debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents, and vermin.
(7) An adequate number of appropriate receptacles for garbage and rubbish, in clean condition and good repair at the time of the commencement of the lease or rental agreement, with the landlord providing appropriate serviceable receptacles thereafter and being responsible for the clean condition and good repair of the receptacles under his or her control.
(8) Floors, stairways, and railings maintained in good repair.
(9) A locking mail receptacle for each residential unit in a residential hotel, as required by Section 17958.3 of the Health and Safety Code.

Inland Empire / Rancho Cucamonga Attorney | Contact Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy

Attorney Web Design

All information and material found on our website, or through links to or from this website, is intended for general information purposes only and should not be considered legal advice or used as a substitute for legal advice from an attorney.